Friday, February 7, 2014

SSS grills Dokubo-Asari for six hours

The State Security Service has released the leader of the Niger Delta Peoples Volunteer Force, Alhaji Muhajid Dokubo-Asari, after quizzing him for six hours on Thursday.

Asari, who arrived at the SSS headquarters in Abuja at 9.45am on Thursday was quizzed and released around 4pm.

The former warlord was said to have been cautioned against making provocative and inflammatory statements before he was allowed to go home.


Dressed in a striped blue and white short-sleeved attire, Asari was accompanied by a lawyer from Festus Keyamo Chambers, a former chairman of Asari Toru Council of River State, Chief Aroloyeteim Brown, some chiefs from the Niger Delta and some members of the NDPVF.
Asari was allowed into the security agency’s premises with his lawyer and Brown.

The ex-militant was invited by the SSS following his alleged inflammatory statements in connection to the 2015 elections, in which he stressed in unequivocal terms that there would be bloodshed, if President Goodluck Jonathan  was not re-elected.

Asari, who spoke to journalists briefly before entering the SSS premises, said he was not afraid of being detained by the agency.

He said, “I’m here to honour the SSS invitation, I don’t know if it is an arrest. I’m not afraid of arrest, and have never been. Arrest is part of the dividend of the struggle. I have been arrested 73 times, today’s (Thursday’s) arrest will be making it the 74th time.

“I am going into the SSS headquarters with my prayer mat, my Koran, tisbih, toilet bag, which contains my toothpaste and toothbrush. I’m also here with my drugs. I am fully prepared, if the SSS decides to arrest me, I’m ready to stay.

Recounting his experience shortly after his release, Asari described his interaction as a routine question and answer session.

“It was a routine question and answer session on my interviews; I gave them my opinion and reason. I told them that it is wrong for some people to be treated as if they are above the law, as if they have the right to threaten others, make inciting comments and continue to intimidate people, and get away with it,”  he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment